One of the questions we regularly get is, “How much will it cost to install my ceiling fan?” … (meaning, a paddle fan. Bathroom vent fans are a whole ‘nother matter.)
The short answer is, it can run between $200 and $400 or so, not including the cost of the fan itself and any control devices. We usually charge for this kind of work on a time-and-materials basis, as there are a number of variables that can affect the size of the job and the price.
First, we prefer that our customers select and purchase their own fans, and possibly the controls as well, while consulting us if any of the questions below suggest that it’s a non-standard installation. There is a very wide range of choices in style, quality, and features available, and it makes no sense for us to stand in the showroom or the aisle of the store, looking at all the fans and trying to read your mind.
Some of the questions that can affect the installation price are:
- Is there anything in the spot now (e.g. light fixture), and is it controlled by a wall switch?
- If there’s something there now, is it mounted on a ceiling box that’s strong enough to support the weight of the new fan safely?
Adding wiring and a heavy-duty box, if necessary, can push the installation into the $300 range.
- How high is the ceiling, and is it sloped or flat?
- Is the new fan basic, or is it unusual or complicated? Is it to be controlled by standard wall switches/dimmers, or will there be a remote?
Simply to mount a standard type fan in a standard type room can take an hour. A more complicated, larger fan, or a higher ceiling, or a sloped one, requiring higher ladders and a long tube, can add significant time to the job, and in combination with 1 and 2 can push the project into the $400 range.
- Where is the job located? If it’s beyond a 30-minute radius of downtown Rochester, I usually factor in some additional drive time.
We would be happy to discuss your fan project with you over the phone. We can usually determine, with good accuracy, in advance, the likely cost of any given fan installation.